Monday 8 October 2007

Yume jūya

English Title: Ten Nights of Dreams
Director: Various
Country: Japan

Based on Natsume Sōseki's collection of short stories involving dream-like sequences, this film consists of ten short films by different directors interpreting Sōseki's dreams.

I thought this was a pretty interesting movie. All of the shorts had the surrealism of dreams while at the same time carrying a bit of meaning. That's not to say that I enjoyed all of them, but I'd say that most of them were solid. There were a few that were very entertaining, including one about a man who carves wood by doing a complex interpretive dance.

This is an interesting one; I'm not quite sure to whom it would appeal. I certainly enjoyed at least part of it, but it may not be for everybody. I'd say that if you like quirky and you like deep and contemplative, then you may like this one.

No comments: